Going through a major loss and dealing with the subsequent grief is something that everyone is going to have to face at one point or another in their lifetime. While grief can sometimes be used to describe the idea of coming to terms with different forms of loss, it will traditionally refer to emotional progressions involved when someone is mourning the death of a person or pet that they cared deeply about. This is where grief and loss counselling can come in very handy for anyone who is struggling with the feelings that they are experiencing.
There is a theory that stats that there are five different stages involved in the grief process, which include denial, anger, then bargaining, depression and then acceptance. There is another theory that says that the grief process goes through stages that include shock or numbness, disorganization or anger and regret, and the final stage of re-organization or recovery and healing.
Today, there are a number of modern ideas on the grieving and loss process, which will also acknowledge that it is not all that uncommon for someone to go about the grief process in a different manner than another. Basically speaking, it is common for everyone to go about grieving in a different way, and there even could be the possibility that the stages will be in different orders.
No matter the framework, the process of grieving can take a very long time for some people. If it seems as though it turns into much more and you feel as though you cannot get along with just the support of friends and family, you will want to see about your options in grief and loss counselling.. This can be a good way for you to learn how you can acknowledge your feelings while you transition through each stage, understanding the the process is completely normal.
Benefits Of Grief And Loss Counseling
If you are finding yourself unable to take part in your regular activities in daily life, you should be looking for the help of a professional in the mental health field. Quality grief counseling will be able to help with the following:
– Focus on any areas of your life where the coping has become difficult, or even unbearable
– Identify some of the behaviors and strategies that can help you to cope and to work on re-engaging in your daily activities
– Fully accept your loss
– Find the most comfort in any positive memories that you have without feeling as though you are completely overcome by the sense of loss
– Working through the process of grieving and loss by having a safe environment where you can work on all of the feelings that you have surrounding the loss
– Understand all of the normal grief stages and work on recognizing that all of the feelings that you are feeling are completely natural
Support Group Help
A support group can be a wonderful piece of the puzzle with grief counseling after you go through a significant loss. They will usually be made up of groups of people who are going through a similar loss to what you are experiencing, which could be led by a mental health professional. These support groups could help you in several ways:
– The group can lessen your sense of isolation that can sometimes come along with a major loss
– You have the ability to talk about your feelings with other people who have had a loss similar to yours that can help you to connect and then recognize you are not alone
– This will allow you to exchange information with others, including a variety of grief resources that may be helpful
– Participation can also boost your mood, or relieve some of the stress you have been feeling while you have a venue to express the emotions that you may otherwise have kept bottled up
Help With Moving On
Another area where grief and loss counseling can be very handy is helping you with a range of ideas for moving on. Time is something known for helping to heal all woulds, however the tools that you can use to help you move on may make this time a bit easier. Along with counseling, there are a number of self-therapy strategies that you can learn that will help with the grieving process. For example:
– Do something that will give you a sense of great accomplishment, including work, volunteering, or starting projects around the house.
– Trying to socialize is another way to get out and feel good while talking to loved ones. During your counseling with groups, you may even meet people there that can be helpful here.
No matter what, you will always find that grief and loss counselling will be a wonderful way for you to process the pain and loss you are going through.